On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 09:07:31PM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 04, 2008 at 10:37:26PM -0700, Chris Greer wrote:
> > I'm not sure I could survive a crash of both nodes, going to try and
> > test some more.
>
> Ok, so taking my idea above, maybe a pair of 15K SAS disks in those
> boxes so that you could create a backing store.  I wonder what the best
> way to setup realtime sync would be (without making the backing store
> responsible for slowing down the ramdisk, so no zfs mirroring between
> rmadisk and sas disk in other words).

There have been threads about adding a feature to support slow mirror
devices that don't stay synced synchronously.  At least IIRC.  That
would help.  But then, if the pool is busy writing then your slow ZIL
mirrors would generally be out of sync, thus being of no help in the
even of a power failure given fast slog devices that don't survive power
failure.

Also, using remote devices for a ZIL may defeat the purpose of fast
ZILs, even if the actual devices are fast, because what really matters
here is latency, and the farther the device, the higher the latency.

> > So is this idea completely crazy?
>
> I don't think so, no. ;)

Yes, it's pretty smart.  Add UPS and it's sortof like battery-backed
RAM.  You can probably get a good enough reliability rate out of this
for your purposes, though actual slog devices would be better if you can
afford them.

Nico