Joseph Mocker schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I haven't seen this discussed before. Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> I'm curious, if I have a set of disks in a system, is there any benefit
> or disadvantage to breaking the disks into multiple pools instead of a
> single pool?
>
> Does multiple pools cause any additional overhead for ZFS, for example?
> Can it cause cache contention/starvation issues?
>
> Thanks...
>
>   --joe

Currently, I've two pools in my system: one for live data and the other
for backup. When doing large backups (i.e. tar'ing one directory
hierarchy from live to backup), I've seen severe memory pressure on the
system - as if both pools were competing for memory...

Maybe with zfs boot/root becoming available, I'll add a third pool for
the OS. From what I've seen, zfs makes very much sense for boot/root if
you are using live upgrade. I like the idea of having OS and data
separated, but on a system with only two disks, I'd definitely go for a
single mirrored zpool where both OS and data reside. I guess sharing one
physical disk among multiple zpools could have severe negative impacts
during concurrent accesses. But I really have no in-depth knowledge to
say for sure. Maybe somebody else can comment on this...

- Thomas