Hi all,

although I'm running all this in a Sol10u5 X4500, I hope I may ask this
question here. If not, please let me know where to head to.

We are running several X4500 with only 3 raidz2 zpools since we want
quite a bit of storage space[*], but the performance we get when using
zfs send is sometimes really lousy. Of course this depends what's in the
file system, but when doing a few backups today I have seen the following:

receiving full stream of atlashome/[EMAIL PROTECTED] into
atlashome/BACKUP/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
in @ 11.1 MB/s, out @ 11.1 MB/s, 14.9 GB total, buffer   0% full
summary: 14.9 GByte in 45 min 42.8 sec - average of 5708 kB/s

So, a mere 15 GB were transferred in 45 minutes, another user's home
which is quite large (7TB) took more than 42 hours to be transferred.
Since all this is going a 10 Gb/s network and the CPUs are all idle I
would really like to know why

* zfs send is so slow and
* how can I improve the speed?

Thanks a lot for any hint

Cheers

Carsten

[*] we have some quite a few tests with more zpools but were not able to
improve the speeds substantially. For this particular bad file system I
still need to histogram the file sizes.

--
Dr. Carsten Aulbert - Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics
Callinstrasse 38, 30167 Hannover, Germany