It would also be useful to see the output of `zfs list`
and `zfs get all rpool/ROOT/snv_99` while
booted from the failsafe archive.

- lori

dick hoogendijk wrote:
James C. McPherson wrote:
Please add     -kv      to the end of your kernel$ line in
grub,

#GRUB kernel$ add -kv
cmdk0 at ata0 target 0 lun 0
cmdk0 is /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/cmdk0,0
### end the machine hangst here

have you tried
mount -F zfs rpool/ROOT/snv_99 /a

# mount -F zfs rpool/ROOT/snv99 /a   (*)
filesystem 'rpool/ROOT/snv99' cannot be mounted using 'mount -F zfs'
Use 'zfs set mountpoint=/a' instead
If you must use 'mount -F zfs' or /etc/vfstab, use 'zfs set
mountpoint=legacy'.
See zfs(1M) for more information.

zpool status -v rpool
# zpool status -v rpool
pool:   rpool
state:  ONLINE
scrub:  none requested
config:
        NAME            STATE           READ    WRITE   CKSUM
        rpool           ONLINE          0       0       0
          c0d0s0        ONLINE          0       0       0

zpool get all rpool

# zpool get all rpool
NAME    PROPERTY        VALUE                   SOURCE
rpool   size            148G                    -
        used            61.1G
        available       89.9G
        capacity        41%
        altroot         /a                      local
        health          ONLINE
        guid            936248.......
        version         13
        bootfs          rpool/ROOT/snv99        local
        delegation      on                      default
        autoreplace     off                     default
        cachefile       none                    local
        failmode        continue                local
        listsnapshots   off                     default

(*) If I chose not to mount the boot env rpool/ROOT/snv99 rw on /a I
cannot do a thing in my failsafe login. The dataset does no exist then.
I have to say 'y' to the question; get some error msgs that it fails but
then at least I can see the pool.