Tomas Ögren wrote:
> On 15 October, 2008 - Richard Elling sent me these 4,3K bytes:
>
>> Tomas Ögren wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> Executive summary: I want arc_data_limit (like arc_meta_limit, but for
>>> data) and set it to 0.5G or so. Is there any way to "simulate" it?
>>>
>> We describe how to limit the size of the ARC cache in the Evil Tuning Guide.
>> http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Evil_Tuning_Guide
>
> Will that limit the _data_ portion only, or the metadata as well?

Recent builds of OpenSolaris have the ability to control on a per
dataset basis what is put into the ARC and L2ARC using the
primrarycache and secondarycache dataset properties:

      primarycache=all | none | metadata

          Controls what is cached in the primary cache  (ARC).  If
          this  property  is set to "all", then both user data and
          metadata is cached. If this property is set  to  "none",
          then  neither  user data nor metadata is cached. If this
          property is set to "metadata",  then  only  metadata  is
          cached. The default value is "all".

      secondarycache=all | none | metadata

          Controls what is cached in the secondary cache  (L2ARC).

--
Darren J Moffat