On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 04:30:28PM -0400, Miles Nordin wrote:

>     nw> But does it work well enough?  It may be faster than NFS if
>
> You're talking about different things.  Gray is using NFS period
> between the storage cluster and the compute cluster, no iSCSI.

I was replying to Marion's comment about "ZFS-over-ISCSI-on-ZFS," not to
Gray.

I can see why one might worry about ZFS-over-iSCSI-on-ZFS.  Two layers
of copy-on-write might interact in odd ways that kill performance.  But
if you want ZFS-over-iSCSI in the first place then ZFS-over-iSCSI-on-ZFS
sounds like the correct approach IF it can perform well enough.

ZFS-over-iSCSI could certainly perform better than NFS, but again, it
may depend on what kind of ZIL devices you have.

Nico