on Fri Oct 17 2008, Miles Nordin <carton-AT-Ivy.NET> wrote:

>     da> how to deal with backups to my Amazon s3 storage area.  Does
>     da> zfs send avoid duplicating common data in clones and
>     da> snapshots?
>
> how can you afford to use something so expensive as S3 for backups?

Is there a cheaper alternative that will securely and persistently store
a copy of my data offsite?

> Anyway 'zfs send' does avoid duplication but you must never store a
> 'zfs send' stream.  They're not robust like 'tar' and 'cpio' streams.
> A bit flip will ruin the entire stream, both before and after the bit
> flip, while tar/cpio will just search for the next file header and
> lose very little.  Also, correctly restoring them depends on a whole
> mess of kernel code which is not well-checked for inter-version
> compatibility.

I'm on zfs-fuse, so it's probably not in the kernel... but that probably
doesn't matter much.

> And there is no standalone stream-testing tool.

OK, then...

> For zpools it seems well-tested that later ZFS code can import earlier
> zpools, and also x86/SPARC zpools/kernels work together, but neither
> has been consistently true of the 'zfs send' format.  You can only use
> 'zfs send' inside a pipe, where you can try again or give up if it
> doesn't work.

I understand.

> I asked for access to the si wiki so I could write a clearer 'zfs
> send' warning than the rather mild one that's up there now, but I got
> no response from [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> It sounds silly, but you'd actually be much better off making a
> compressed zpool on top of an 'mkfile' vdev, fill it with data, export
> it, and send that to s3.

Hmm... not much good for incremental backups, though.  Also, it will
replicate all the redundant data in snapshots and clones unless I'm
misunderstanding you.

> I don't know of any proper stream storage
> format which captures the snapshot/clone tree and also has the
> relevant characteristics of tarballs: robust to endiness, kernel
> versions, and bit flips, and validateable without restoring.

tar actually adds redundancy to the degree that it could detect and
correct bit flips?  This is news to me, and I can't find anything of the
sort on its manpage.  Where can I find out more?

If that's true, I suppose one could tar a zfs send stream.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing