>You have not described your requirements (low-power ??, low-cost ??).
But I'll contribute some pointers anyway! :)

Well for a home NAS I'm looking at noise as a big factor.  Also for a 24x7 box,
power consumption, that's why the northbridge is putting me off slightly.

So far the other solutions mentioned here, and what I've found on various blogs
are going to be a lot more noisy and power hungry.  Although the cost also
makes this option very attractive, I'd be happy to pay a bit more for something
with more grunt so long as it's quiet and energy efficient. Although I don't
really mind if the box is slow, with ZFS what I'm looking for is secure data
storage.  But with only two SATA ports I don't see how this board will quite
acheive that.  Unless I boot from USB and use 2 SATA and 2 IDE drives.

btw I'm seeing mixed reports if the D945GCLF2 is seen as 64 bit by solaris.

Anyway thanks all for the great feedback!