On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Douglas Walker wrote:

> I was wondering if I _need_ to explicitly run a zfs scrub on my zpool
> periodically.

It is a very wise idea to perform a periodic scrub of your pool.  This
should substantially decrease the actual risk of data loss.

> If zfs does a background scrub continually anyways - is there any need
> to manually run a scrub?

Zfs does not do a background scrub.  It only verifies data as it is
read, and performs corrections if there is a redundant good copy.

> If it is necessary - how often are people running a manually scrub? Once
> a week? month?

Hard drives don't wear out from being used.  I have cron jobs set up
to scrub my drive array every night and on some USB backup drives,
once a week.  The only impediments to scrubbing as often as possible
is that scrubbing decreases the available disk access performance
during the scrub and that taking snapshots resets the scrub from the
beginning.  Of course there may be more power consumption during a
scrub.

Bob