Jonathan Loran wrote:
David Evans wrote:
For anyone looking for a cheap home ZFS server...

Dell is having a sale on their PowerEdge SC440 for $199 (regular $598) through
11/12/2008.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pedge_sc440?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Its got Dual Core Intel® Pentium®E2180, 2.0GHz, 1MB Cache, 800MHz FSB
and you can upgrade the memory (ECC too) to 2gb for 19$ bucks.

@$199, I just ordered 2.

dce

I don't think the Pentium E2180 has the lanes to use ECC RAM. I'm also not confident the system board for this machine would make use of ECC memory either, which is not good from a ZFS perspective. How many SATA plugs are there on the MB in this guy?

Jon

ECC support is a function of the chipset AFAIK. That system has an Intel 3000 chipset which is stated to have ECC support. The Dell literature also states ECC support. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work as such.

From the manual, it appears to have 4 SATA ports. For anyone contemplating buying one for home use, note that it has only PCIe x8, not x16 (for graphics cards).

The SC440 is basically just a re-badged workstation. Nothing too exciting, but $199 is not a bad deal.

-Brian