I watched both the youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN6iDzesEs0

and the one on http://www.opensolaris.com/, "ZFS – A Smashing Hit".

In the first one is obvious that the app stops working when they smash the
drives; they have to physically detach the drive before the array
reconstruction begins.
I'm not the only one that noticed it, comments on youtube:

"It appears that ZFS didn't recover after each drive failure until he unplugged
the failed drive? Or was it coincidence that he unplugged the drive just as ZFS
started recovering?"
"Yep. its a bug in solaris. BUt if you try and tell a sun person that, they get
really pissy."

In the second video the focus is on the drive when the guy smashes it; I don't
see any reasons why they would not let you see the app while he smashed the
drive.
The focus comes back to the running app right after he detached the hard drive.