> In the worst case, the device would be selectable,
> but not responding
> to data requests which would lead through the device
> retry logic and can
> take minutes.

that's what I didn't know: that a driver could take minutes (hours???) to
decide that a device is not working anymore.
Now it comes another question: how can one assume that a drive failure won't
take one hour to be acknowledged by the driver? That is: what good is a
failover strategy if it takes one hour to start? I'm grateful that the system
doesn't write until it knows what is going on, but that can't take that long.