On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 02:08:28PM -0800, John Smith wrote:
> When I create a volume I am unable to mount it locally. I pretty sure
> it has something to do with the other volumes in the same ZFS pool
> being shared out as ISCSI luns.  For some reason ZFS things the base
> volume is ISCSI. Is there a flag that I am missing? Thanks in advanced
> for the help.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# zpool list
> NAME       SIZE   USED  AVAIL    CAP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
> datapool   464G   196G   268G    42%  ONLINE  -
> rpool     48.8G  4.33G  44.4G     8%  ONLINE  -
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# zfs create -V 2g datapool/share

This means you've created a volume, not a filesystem.

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# zfs mount datapool/share
> cannot open 'datapool/share': operation not applicable to datasets of this
> type

That's right: you can't mount volumes.  Volumes get device names in
/dev/zvol/dsk/ and /dev/zvol/rdsk/.

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# zfs share datapool/share
> cannot share 'datapool/share': 'shareiscsi' property not set
> set 'shareiscsi' property or use iscsitadm(1M) to share this volume

See the iscsitadm(1M).

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# zfs get shareiscsi datapool/share
> NAME            PROPERTY    VALUE           SOURCE
> datapool/share  shareiscsi  off             inherited from datapool
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# zfs set sharenfs=on datapool/share
                                   ^^^
> cannot set property for 'datapool/share': 'sharenfs' does not apply to
> datasets of this type

Did you typo?  You should set shareiscsi=on, NOT sharenfs=on -- you
can't share zvols via NFS (nor CIFS), only via iSCSI.

Nico