Well after a couple of weeks of beating my head, i finally got my data back so
I thought I would post what process recovered it.

I ran the samsung estool utility
ran auto-scan and for each disk that was showing the wrong physical size i :-
chose set max address
chose recover native size

After that when i booted back into solaris format showed the disks being the
correct size again and i was able to zpool import :-

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
       0. c3d0 <DEFAULT cyl 19454 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63>
          /p...@0,0/pci8086,2...@1c,4/pci-...@0/i...@0/c...@0,0
       1. c3d1 <DEFAULT cyl 19454 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63>
          /p...@0,0/pci8086,2...@1c,4/pci-...@0/i...@0/c...@1,0
       2. c4d1 <DEFAULT cyl 60798 alt 2 hd 255 sec 126>
          /p...@0,0/pci-...@1f,2/i...@0/c...@1,0
       3. c5d0 <DEFAULT cyl 60798 alt 2 hd 255 sec 126>
          /p...@0,0/pci-...@1f,2/i...@1/c...@0,0
       4. c5d1 <DEFAULT cyl 60797 alt 2 hd 255 sec 126>
          /p...@0,0/pci-...@1f,2/i...@1/c...@1,0
       5. c6d0 <DEFAULT cyl 60797 alt 2 hd 255 sec 126>
          /p...@0,0/pci-...@1f,5/i...@0/c...@0,0
       6. c7d0 <DEFAULT cyl 60797 alt 2 hd 255 sec 126>
          /p...@0,0/pci-...@1f,5/i...@1/c...@0,0

I will just say though that there is something in zfs which caused this in the
first place as when i first replaced teh faulty sata controller, only 1 of the
4 disks showed the incorrect size in format but then as i messed around trying
to zpool export/import i eventually wound up in the sate that all 4 disks
showed the wrong size.

Anyhow, im happy i got it all back working again, and hope this solution
assists others.

Regards Rep