On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Orvar Korvar <
knatte_fnatte_tja...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ok, so I could partition a drive into two parts, and treat each of the
> partitions as one drive? And then I exchange one partition at a time with a
> whole new drive? That sounds neat. I must format the drive into two zfs
> partitions? Or UFS partitions? ZFS doesnt have partitions?
>
> And another thing, is it better to do a "cp *" or do "zfs send" when
> copying data from old zpool to new zpool? What is the differences?

No, my suggestion is to
1. Connect four of the five 1TB drives to the available SATA ports.
2. Put the 5th one in an external USB enclosure, or find another SATA
controller.
3. Then create the new pool of 5x1TB drives.
4. Then ZFS-send the data from the old pool to the new pool
5. Export the old pool, shut down and remove the old disks.
6. Move the disk which is on eSATA, or External USB or wherever to one of
the freed-up USB ports.
7. Start up.  You are done.

   Arthur C. Clarke

My blog: http://initialprogramload.blogspot.com