On Jan 6, 2009, at 11:12 AM   1/6/, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, Keith Bierman wrote:
>
>> Do you get the same sort of results from /dev/random?
>
> /dev/random is very slow and should not be used for benchmarking.

Not directly, no. But copying from /dev/random to a real file and
using that should provide better insight than all zeros or all ones
(I have seen "clever" devices optimize things away).

Tests like bonnie are probably a better bet than rolling one's own;
although the latter is good for building intuition ;>

--
Keith H. Bierman   khb...@gmail.com      | AIM kbiermank
5430 Nassau Circle East                  |