On Sat, Jan 17 at 18:58, Antonius wrote:
>I'm having an issue replacing a failed 500GB disk with another new one with
>the error that the disk is too small. The problem is that it isn't. Is there
>any help anyone can offer here?
>
>ascii name  = <SAMSUNG-S0MUJQSQA0224-0001-465.76GB>
>bytes/sector   =  512
>sectors = 976760063
>accessible sectors = 976760030
>Part      Tag    Flag     First Sector         Size         Last Sector
>  0        usr    wm               256      465.75GB          976743646
>  1 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  2 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  3 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  4 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  5 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  6 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  8   reserved    wm         976743647        8.00MB          976760030

Are you 100% sure it has the exact same number of sectors?  While more
recently, most vendors have settled on the IDEMA calculation for
number of available sectors, some drives sold into retail and/or some
models may not follow this, leaving you with a slightly different
number.

The "IDEMA" size for a 500GB disk is 976,773,168 sectors.

That Samsung drive would be about 13,000 sectors short, if your other
disks are IDEMA sized.

FYI, the formula is: sectors = 97696368 + (1953504 * ((Size in GB) - 50))

--
Eric D. Mudama
edmud...@mail.bounceswoosh.org