I don't have an x4540, and this may not be relevant to your usage, but the
concern I would have would be how this is going to affect throughput.  An x4540
can stream data to and from the disk far faster than any SATA SSD, or even a
pair of SATA SSD's can.  I'd be nervous about improving my latency at the cost
of throughput.

I've read that ZFS is supposed to stream large writes directly to disk to avoid
this, but I've also read about this not always working (no links I'm afraid,
this was a while ago).

For an x4540, what I'd be watching are the PCIe SSD devices, and hoping that
either Fusion-io or Micron release Solaris drivers for them.