Jakov Sosic wrote:
> Hi guys!
>
> I'm doing series of tests on ZFS before putting it into production on several
> machines, and I've come to a dead end. I have two disks in mirror (rpool).
> Intentionally, I corrupt data on second disk:
>
> # dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/rdsk/c0d1t0 bs=512 count=20480 seek=10240
>
> So, I've written 10MB's of random data after first 5MB's of hard drive. After
> sync and reboot, ZFS got the corruption noticed, and then I run zpool scrub
> rpool. After that, I've got this state:
>
> unknown# zpool status
>   pool: rpool
>  state: DEGRADED
> status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An
>         attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are unaffected.
> action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
>         using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
>    see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
>  scrub: scrub in progress for 0h0m, 5.64% done, 0h5m to go
> config:
>
>         NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>         rpool       DEGRADED     0     0     0
>           mirror    DEGRADED     0     0     0
>             c0d1s0  DEGRADED     0     0    26  too many errors
>             c0d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> errors: No known data errors
>

> So I wonder now, how to fix this up? Why doesn't scrub overwrite bad data
> with good data from first disk?

The data is already fixed, which is why it says "errors: No known data
errors"

> If I run zpool clear, it will only clear the error reports, and it won't
> fixed them - I presume that because I don't understand the man page for that
> section clearly.
>
> So, how can I fix this disk, without detach/attach procedure

Be happy, the data is already fixed. The "DEGRADED" state is used
when too many errors were found in a short period of time, which
one would use as an idicator of a failing device.  However, since the
device is not actually failed, it is of no practical use in your test case.
 -- richard