I'm not an authority, but on my 'vanilla' filer, using the same
controller chipset as the thumper, I've been in really good shape
since moving to zfs boot in 10/08 and doing 'zpool upgrade' and 'zfs
upgrade' to all my mirrors (3 3-way).  I'd been having similar
troubles to yours in the past.

My system is pretty puny next to yours, but it's been reliable now for
slightly over a month.