Can anyone help me figure this out:

I am a new user of ZFS, and recently installed 2008.11 with ZFS.
Unfortunately I messed up the system and had to boot using LiveCD.

In the legacy systems, it was possible to get to the boot prompt, and
then mount the disk containing the "/" on /mnt, and then from there
fix the issue.

How do I do the same using ZFS? I tried several zfs commands -
zfs list returns that there are no pools available,
zfs list /dev/dsk/cXdYsZ returns that it is not a zfs filesystem,
zpool online returns that there are no such pools

Is there some way I can get to my file using zfs, or do I have to re-install?

Thanks,
-Garima