On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 1:28 AM, Bob Friesenhahn
> <bfrie...@simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>>>
>>> Just wondering, why didn't you compress it first? something like
>>>
>>> zfs send | gzip > backup.zfs.gz
>>>

>> The 'lzop' compressor is much better for this since it is *much* faster.
>
> Sure, when enabling compression on zfs fs.

Note that in the user's command line, the 'gzip' is changed to 'lzop'.
It has nothing to do with ZFS.  Of course change the file extention to
something like .lzo.  If the 'lzop' utility is not available, then it
is necessary to install it.

In my testing I found that lzop was *much* faster than gzip and the
result was maybe 15% less compressed.  It makes a huge difference when
you are talking about a lot of data.

Bob