Aaron wrote:

> I have setup a fileserver using zfs and am able to see the share from my mac.
 > I am able to create/write to the share as well as read.  I've ensured
that I
 > have the same user and uid on both the server (opensolaris snv101b)
as well
 > as the mac.  The root folder of the share is owned by root:mygroup.
>
> When I write/create new files on the share, they get created, but the
> permissions
 > are such:
>
> ---------- 1 aaron staff    14453522 2009-01-03 15:41 myFile.txt
>
> aaron:staff is the user on the mac (leopard).  When I mounted the share, I
 > used aaron as the user.
>
> What I really would like is for this share to have newly written/created
 > files be owned by root:mygroup.

This is a limitation on the part of the Mac 'smbfs' client.  We
use the same code base on Solaris.  The code is not currently
able to do I/O on the part of multiple users; the user who was
authenticated at mount time owns all of the files.  Also, the
Mac client does not try to parse ACLs at all, so permission
mode bits and reported ownership are guesses done at the client.
If you set ACLs on the server, they should be enforced, even if
you can't see that from the Mac.  If the ownership or perm bits
are in your way on the Mac, you can use smbfs mount options to
get it to tell you different things, but there's no way to see
the truth until more code is written.

Rob T