On 11 February, 2009 - Kyle McDonald sent me these 1,2K bytes:

> On 2/11/2009 12:11 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>>
>> My understanding is that 1TB is the maximum bootable disk size since
>> EFI boot is not supported.  It is good that you were allowed to use
>> the larger disk, even if its usable space is truncated.
>>
> I don't dispute that, but I don't understand it either.
>
> If EFI is not being used (ZFS boot doesn't use EFI on the root pool
> since the BIOS doesn't (usually) uinderstand the EFI label) then what is
> it that has a 1TB limit?

SMI/VTOC, the original label (partition table format:ish) system used.

EFI can use larger, but EFI tables for boot isn't supported right now.
I guess you should be able to put the rpool on a 50GB slice or so, then
put the other 1450GB in an EFI data pool..

It's just that you can't have the rpool >1TB due to boot limits.

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, st...@acc.umu.se, http://www.acc.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå