Ross wrote:
I can also state with confidence that very, very few of the 100 staff working
here will even be aware that it's possible to unmount a USB volume in windows.
They will all just pull the plug when their work is saved, and since they all
come to me when they have problems, I think I can safely say that pulling USB
devices really doesn't tend to corrupt filesystems in Windows.  Everybody I
know just waits for the light on the device to go out.
The key here is that Windows does not cache writes to the USB drive unless you go in and specifically enable them. It caches reads but not writes. If you enable them you will lose data if you pull the stick out before all the data is written. This is the type of safety measure that needs to be implemented in ZFS if it is to support the average user instead of just the IT professionals.

Regards,
 Greg