On Sun, February 22, 2009 00:15, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> First, it fails because the destination directory doesn't exist.  Then it
> fails because it DOES exist.  I really expected one of those to work.  So,
> what am I confused about now?  (Running 2008.11)
>
> # zpool import -R /backups/bup-ruin bup-ruin
> # zfs send -R "z...@bup-20090222-054457utc" | zfs receive -dv
> bup-ruin/fsfs/zp1"
> cannot receive: specified fs (bup-ruin/fsfs/zp1) does not exist
> # zfs create bup-ruin/fsfs/zp1
> # zfs send -R "z...@bup-20090222-054457utc" | zfs receive -dv
> "bup-ruin/fsfs/zp1"
> cannot receive new filesystem stream: destination 'bup-ruin/fsfs/zp1'
> exists
> must specify -F to overwrite it

I've tried some more things.  Isn't this the "same" operations as above,
but with different (and more reasonable) results?

But isn't this the same, with different results?

# zfs list -r bup-ruin
NAME       USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
bup-ruin  79.5K   913G    18K  /backups/bup-ruin
# zfs create bup-ruin/fsfs
# zfs send -R rpool/export/h...@bup-2009\
0216-044512UTC | zfs recv -d bup-ruin/fsfs/rpool
cannot receive: specified fs (bup-ruin/fsfs/rpool) does not exist
r...@fsfs:/export/home/localddb/src/bup2# zfs create bup-ruin/fsfs/rpool
r...@fsfs:/export/home/localddb/src/bup2# zfs send -R
rpool/export/h...@bup-2009\
0216-044512UTC | zfs recv -d bup-ruin/fsfs/rpool

These second results are what I expected, after reading the error messages
and the manual.  But the first example is what I actually got, originally.
 (Different pools, slightly).

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I'm trying to store backups of multiple pools (which are on disks mounted
in the desktop chassis) on external pools consisting of a single external
USB drive.

My concept is to do a send -R for the initial backup of each, and then to
do send -i with suitable params for the later backups.  This should keep
the external filesystems in synch with the internal filesystems up to the
snapshot most recently synced.  But I can't find commands to make this
work.

(Note that I need to back up two pools, rpool and zp1, from the destkop on
the the single external pool bup-ruin.  I'm importing bup-ruin with
altroot to avoid the mountoints of the backed-up filesystems on it
conflicting with each other or with stuff already mounted on the desktop.)

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info