On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 07:14:14PM -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:

> My whole purpose is to experiment with zfs... would I see much
> difference if opensol was installed 64 bit as compared to 32 bit?
>
> I noticed the Simon blogs that describe how to setup a home zfs server
> ( http://breden.org.uk/2008/03/02/a-home-fileserver-using-zfs/ )
> mention it is best setup 64 bit, but no real reason is given.

I think it would be better to answer this question that it would to attempt
to answer the VirtualBox question (I run it on a 64-bit OS, so I can't really
answer that anyway).

The benefit to running ZFS on a 64-bit OS is if you have a large amount of RAM.
I don't know what the breaking point is, but I can definitely tell you that a
32-bit kernel and 4GB ram doesn't mix well.  If all you are doing is testing ZFS
on VMs you probably aren't all that worried about performance so it really
shouldn't
be an issue for you to run 32-bit.  I'd say keep your RAM allocations down, and
wish I knew what to tell you to keep it under.  Hopefully someone who has a
better
grasp of all that can chime in.

Once you put it on real hardware, however, you really want a 64-bit CPU and as
much
RAM as you can toss at the machine.

-brian
--
"Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta
tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of