On Feb 22, 2009, at 1:04 PM, Mike Gerdts wrote:

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:59 AM, David Abrahams <d...@boostpro.com> wrote:

When I take a snapshot of a filesystem (or pool) and pass -r to get all
the sub-filesystems, am I getting the state of all the sub-filesystem
snapshots "at the same instant," or is it essentially equivalent to
making the sub-filesystem snapshots one at a time as I would have to do
if -r weren't available?

Google for "zfs snapshot recursive atomic" leads me to:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5461/gdfdt?a=view

Which says:

Recursive ZFS snapshots are created quickly as one atomic operation.
The snapshots are created together (all at once) or not created at
all. The benefit of atomic snapshots operations is that the snapshot
data is always taken at one consistent time, even across descendent
file systems.

Thanks, Mike.  That's what I needed to know.

Cheers,

--
David Abrahams
BoostPro Computing