Brian H. Nelson wrote:
I'm doing a little testing and I hit a strange point. Here is a zvol (clone)

pool1/volclone      type             volume                 -
pool1/volclone      origin           pool1/v...@diff1       -
pool1/volclone      reservation      none                   default
pool1/volclone      volsize          191G                   -
pool1/volclone      volblocksize     8K                     -

The zvol has UFS on it. It has always been 191G and we've never attempted to resize it. However, if I just try to grow it, it gives me an error:

-bash-3.00# growfs /dev/zvol/rdsk/pool1/volclone 400555998 sectors < current size of 400556032 sectors

Is the zvol is somehow smaller than it was originally? How/why?

I think ufs requires an integer number of cylinder groups and I'm
guessing the volume size you have presented it with is somewhere
in between - so it has rounded down to the largest cylinder
group boundary less than or equal to the device size.

Gavin