Richard Elling schrieb:
[...]
ZFS maintains a cache of what pools were imported so that at boot time,
it will automatically try to re-import the pool. The file is /etc/zfs/zpool.cache
and you can view its contents by using "zdb -C"

If the current state of affairs does not match the cache, then you can
export the pool, which will clear its entry in the cache.  Then retry the
import.
-- richard

I had this problem myself with a mirrored zpool in a ICY BOX IB-3218 (2 HDDs which appear as different LUNs) set up for backup purposes. For zpool which are intended to be disconnect (or powered of) regulary an 'autoexport' flag would be nice: If set the system exports the pool at shutdown. This would prevent problems like Stefan's on a reboot and when a zpool from a shutdown system is connected to an other system (like "Hm, old slow laptop's powered off, but hey, everything I need is also on this shiny 1.5TB USB-HDD-zpool with all my other important stuff/backups.. *plug into workstation* OMG! My backup-pool is faulty!!")

Regards, Florian Ermisch

What really worries me is that zfs for some reason has started to treat
a drive which belonged to one pool as if it was belonging to another
pool. Could this happen with other non-USB drives in other configuration
scenarios such as mirrors or raidz?
I suppose anything can happen on Friday the 13th...
Cheers,

   Stefan Olsson