Hi Neal,

This example needs to be updated with a ZFS root pool. It could
also be that I mapped the wrong boot disks in this example.

You can name the root pool what ever you want, rpool, mpool,
mypool.

In these examples, I was using rpool for RAIDZ pool and mpool
for mirrored pool, not knowing that rpool would become the
default name of the root pool that is created by the install
program.

You will have to use the boot disks for (I hope) a mirrored root
pool and use the remaining disks/controllers for the remaining
raidz/mirrored data pool as best you can.

When I have time to model these configs, I'll update the examples.

I'm sure the experts on this list have some ideas...

Cindy

Neal Pollack wrote:
Hi:

What is the most common practice for allocating (choosing) the two disks used for
the boot drives, in a zfs root install, for the mirrored rpool?

The docs for thumper, and many blogs, always point at cfgadm slots 0 and 1,
which are sata3/0 and sata/3/4, which most often map to c5t0d0 and c5t4d0.
But those are on the same controller (yes, I've read all that before).
And these seem to be the ones that BIOS agrees to boot from.

However, the doc below, in section;
http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Configuration_Guide#ZFS_Configuration_Example_.28x4500_with_raidz2.29

mentions using two boot disks for the zfs root on a different controller;
zpool create mpool mirror c5t0d0s0 c4t0d0s0

I'll assume that they meant "rpool" instead of mpool. I had thought that BIOS will only agree to boot from the slot 0 and slot 1 disks which are on the same
controller.
Does anyone know which doc is correct, and what two disk devices
are typically being used for the zfs root these days?

If I stick with the x4500 docs and use c5t0d0 and c5t4d0, they both
can be booted from bios, but it makes doing remaining raidz2 data pool
a little trickier. 7 sets of 6-disk raidz2, can't get all vdevs on different
controller number.

But if I use the example from SolarisInternals.com guide above, with
both of the zfs root pool disks on different controllers, it makes it easier to allocate remaining vdevs for the "7 sets of 6-disk raidz2", but I can't see
how BIOS could select both of those boot devices?

Sincere Thanks,

Neal