I'd be careful about raidz unless you have either:

1 - automatic notification of failure set up using fmadm

2 - at least one hot spare

Because raidz is parity-based (it does some math-magic to give you
redundancy), replacing a disk that's failed can take a very long time
compared to mirror resilvering (the zfs term for rebuilding
redundancy).

You can get a nice 1000gb SATA drive on newegg or a similar site for
about $90 - well worth the extra money ($120) for the convenience of
mirroring.  Mirrors are probably also faster for any kind of video
playback (like the video projects you mention).

I use raidz2 with 2 hot spares at my company, yes, but only for data
warehousing.  User data (windows home dirs) I put on mirrors.