Hello Harry,

HP> I need to move data from one zpool to another, lock stock and
HP> barrel,

HP> Being from linux background my instinct was to use rsync.  But then I
HP> remembered seeing the `export/import options in man zpool..  And I've
HP> seen mention of them here too, but didn't pay attention since I'd
HP> noticed no need yet.

HP> Now I'm wondering if the export/import sub commands might not be a
HP> good bit faster.

HP> I'm not talking about massive amounts of data, about 71 GB, but enough
HP> that rsync will be at it a good while.

HP> I've can anyone tell me if the export/import approach would be better?

As Ian pointed you want zfs send|receive and not import/export.
For a first full copy zfs send not necessarily will be noticeably
faster than rsync but it depends on data. If for example you have
milions of small files zfs send could be much faster then rsync.
But it shouldn't be slower in any case.

zfs send|receive really shines when it comes to sending incremental
changes.

--
Best regards,
 Robert Milkowski