Tim wrote:

I did NOT say nobody recommends using raid5. What I *DID* say was that NOBODY supports using raid-5 and raid-6 under a single pool of storage. Which IBM array are you referring to that is supported with RAID5 and 6 in a single pool?

Thanks for the clarification, Tim, I thought you might have lost your head :-)

However, I do not believe Sun does not "support" mixed zpools.  Clearly, it
is possible to create them, and clearly they work as one would expect.  But
Sun does not keep a list of things that are "supported," so it is difficult to prove the negative. In most cases, "support" depends on what the engineering group wishes to accept bugs on -- there is no consistent policy nor logic. I think you will find the ZFS team to be very receptive to accepting bugs and
would be more than mildly interested in discovering if mixed vdevs did not
work as designed.

NB  I quote "support" because I've never found two people with the same
operational definition of "support."  There is a near 100% chance that my
definition is at odds with the reader :-/
-- richard