Grant,

Didn't see a response so I'll give it a go.

Ripping a disk away and silently inserting a new one is asking for trouble imho. I am not sure what you were trying to accomplish but generally replace a drive/lun would entail commands like

 zpool offline tank c1t3d0
cfgadm | grep c1t3d0
sata1/3::dsk/c1t3d0            disk         connected    configured   ok
# cfgadm -c unconfigure sata1/3
Unconfigure the device at: /devices/p...@0,0/pci1022,7...@2/pci11ab,1...@1:3
This operation will suspend activity on the SATA device
Continue (yes/no)? yes
# cfgadm | grep sata1/3
sata1/3                        disk         connected    unconfigured ok
<Replace the physical disk c1t3d0>
# cfgadm -c configure sata1/3

Taken from this page:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5461/gbbzy?a=view

..Remco

Grant Lowe wrote:
Hi All,

Don't know if this is worth reporting, as it's human error.  Anyway, I had a
panic on my zfs box.  Here's the error:

marksburg /usr2/glowe> grep panic /var/log/syslog
Apr  8 06:57:17 marksburg savecore: [ID 570001 auth.error] reboot after panic:
assertion failed: 0 == dmu_buf_hold_array(os, object, offset, size, FALSE, FTAG,
&numbufs, &dbp), file: ../../common/fs/zfs/dmu.c, line: 580
Apr  8 07:15:10 marksburg savecore: [ID 570001 auth.error] reboot after panic:
assertion failed: 0 == dmu_buf_hold_array(os, object, offset, size, FALSE, FTAG,
&numbufs, &dbp), file: ../../common/fs/zfs/dmu.c, line: 580
marksburg /usr2/glowe>

What we did to cause this is we pulled a LUN from zfs, and replaced it with a
new LUN.  We then tried to shutdown the box, but it wouldn't go down.  We had
to send a break to the box and reboot.  This is an oracle sandbox, so we're not
really concerned.  Ideas?