Hi Ravi,

I think a previous bug prevented the use of volumes in non-global zones
and the man page was not updated. This is a bug in the man page. I will
fix this.

I agree that this text here:

http://docsview.sfbay.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5461/ftyxh?a=view

A ZFS volume is a dataset that represents a block device and can be used like any block device.

*****************************

Could be widely interpreted and should be revised to indicate when using a volume is appropriate.

Cindy
Ravi Kota wrote:
Hi,
The zfs(1M) man page indicates that a ZFS volume should only be used under special circumstances as below.
            /*volume** */
                                    /A logical volume exported as a raw
                                    or block device. This type of
                                    dataset should only be used under
                                    special circumstances. File systems
                                    are typically used in most
                                    environments. Volumes cannot be used
in a non-global zone./ However the ZFS administration guide <http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5461> seems to indicate that a ZFS volume can be used like any raw/ block device. What are the special circumstances where we can NOT use a ZFS volume as a regular raw/ block device?

The administration guide also has an example on exporting a ZFS <http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5461/gbebi?a=view> volume to a zone.
# *zonecfg -z zion*
zion: No such zone configured
Use 'create' to begin configuring a new zone.
zonecfg:zion> *create*
zonecfg:zion> *add device*
zonecfg:zion:device> *set match=/dev/zvol/dsk/tank/vol*
zonecfg:zion:device> *end
*

So why does the man page indicate that "Volumes cannot be used in a non-global zone".

Thanks
Ravi