On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:24:26 -0500 (CDT)
Bob Friesenhahn <bfrie...@simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:

> If you want to be included in the 0.5% of the desktop population who
> are smart enough to run OpenSolaris, maybe you should add a mirror
> drive.

You took the words right out of my mouth.
I often see/read messages from people who seem to thing (open)solaris
is some kind of windows or even linux. The latter is famous to run on
cheap and often even very old hardware. That's OK, because linux is not
only a modern system, it's also a geek system. And windows runs on
almost everything, BSOD's included.

Solaris/OpenSolaris is not a system for all. It has hardware demands;
that is, if you want to run it safe. I know people who run ZFS on a
32bit system and that often goes well. Until the system comes under
heavy load and strange errors appear.

Although mirroring existed in hardware and software "solutions" were
present in the OS'ses I ran before Solaris it's only since I run my
systems on ZFS (S10/nevada/OpenSolaris) that all my drives are
mirrored. Prices are cheap (and I mean CHEAP). If you still run ZFS on
a single drive (or worse: on a part of it) you don't follow the "rules".
That's not "professional" and even for home users it's not wise.

--
Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
+ http://nagual.nl/ | nevada / opensolaris