Tim wrote:

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 8:25 PM, Richard Elling <richard.ell...@gmail.com <mailto:richard.ell...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    I do not believe you can achieve five 9s with current consumer disk
    drives for an extended period, say >1 year.

Just to pipe up, while very few vendors can pull it off, we've seen five 9's with Hitachi gear using SATA.

Well done!  Of course Hitachi doesn't use consumer-grade disks in
their arrays...

I'll also confess that I did set a bit of a math trap here :-)  The trap is
that if you ever have to recover data from tape/backup, then you'll
have no chance of making 5-9s when using large volumes.  Suppose
you have a really nice backup system that can restore 10TBytes in
10 hours.  To achieve 5-9s you'd need to make sure that you never
have to restore from backups for the next 114 years.  Since the
expected lifetime of a disk is << 114 years, you'll have a poor
chance of making it. So the problem really boils down to how sure
you can be that you won't have an unrecoverable read during the
expected lifetime of your system. Studies have shown [1] that you
are much more likely to see this than you'd expect. The way to
solve that problem is to use double parity to further reduce this
probability.  Or, more simply, BAARF.

[1] http://www.cs.wisc.edu/adsl/Publications/corruption-fast08.pdf

-- richard