On May 6, 2009, at 20:46, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

After all this discussion, I am not sure if anyone adequately answered the original poster's question as to whether at 2540 with SAS 15K drives would provide substantial synchronous write throughput improvement when used as a L2ARC device.

I was under the impression that the L2ARC was to speed up reads, as it allows things to be cached on something faster than disks (usually MLC SSDs). Offloading the ZIL is what handles synchronous writes, isn't it?

How would adding an L2ARC speed up writes?