On Tue, 19 May 2009, Richard Elling wrote:

> Removal of a slog is different than failure of a slog.  Removal is an
> administrative task, not a repair task.  You can lump slog removal in
> with the more general shrink or top-level vdev removal tasks.

Granted; however, for shrinking or removing vdevs you first need to do the
technical step of getting data off of the devices you want to remove.
Presumably that code has not yet been implemented, so before you can
implement removal of data devices, you have to write that code. On the
other hand, clearly there already exists code that will switch from a
separate log device back to an embedded one. The only thing missing is a
simple "update the metadata" step. While they might be lumped together in
the same category, in terms of amount of effort and complexity to implement
unless there's something I'm not understanding there should be a couple of
orders of magnitude difference.

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  hen...@csupomona.edu