You can add disks to to a RAID-Z configuration. The following shows how to convert a storage pool with one RAID–Z device to storage pool with two RAID-Z devices with 3 disks.

# *zpool status*
 pool: rpool
state: ONLINE
scrub: none requested
config:
       NAME         STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
       rpool        ONLINE       0     0     0
         raidz1     ONLINE       0     0     0
           c1t2d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
           c1t3d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
           c1t4d0   ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
# *zpool add rpool raidz c2t2d0 c2t3d0 c2t4d0*
# *zpool status*
 pool: rpool
state: ONLINE
scrub: none requested
config:
       NAME         STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
       rpool        ONLINE       0     0     0
         raidz1     ONLINE       0     0     0
           c1t2d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
           c1t3d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
           c1t4d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
         raidz1     ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t2d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t3d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t4d0   ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

kind regards,
Moutacim

robert.ho...@allatnet.de schrieb:
Hi,

okay sorry. I want to migrate from non raid single disks to zfs raidz - at the
moment i have 1 empty disk and 4 with data.

Its possible to create a pool at the beginning with one disk and add later disk
2,3,4,5 and can the pool be a raidz then with single parity?

So ists possible for me to transfer the data.

kind regards

Hi robert.hoppe,

could you be more specific about your situation please ?
U wrote ntfs, but where is the problem with zfs ?
I you create a pool, you can add disks later # |zpool add xpool c1t0d0

kind regards,

robert.ho...@allatnet.de schrieb:
Hi there,

i'm building a small NAS with 5x1TB Disks. The disks contains at the moment
some data, ntfs as the fs and aren't a raid.
Now my im wondering if its possible to add the parity later. So that i add
step by step one disk to the pool. And when i add the last disk, i enable the parity.
(i have only one another 1 tb disk to backup the files)

Thank you for you replies and sorry for my bad english.

Robert Hoppe

Moutacim LACHHAB
Service Engineer
Software Technical Services Center Sun Microsystems Inc.
Email moutacim.lach...@sun.com <mailto:moutacim.lach...@sun.com>
+33(0)134030594 x31457
For knowledge and support: http://sunsolve.sun.com