Hi Dick,

I've rewritten the instructions for relabeling/repartitioning a disk
that is intended for the root pool, here:

http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Troubleshooting_Guide#Replacing.2FRelabeling_the_Root_Pool_Disk

Generally, the format utility will show you the size of the disks, here:
AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
       0. c0t0d0 <ATA-HITACHI HDS7250S-AJ0A-465.76GB>
          /p...@0,0/pci1022,7...@1/pci11ab,1...@1/d...@0,0
       1. c0t1d0 <ATA-HITACHI HDS7250S-AJ0A-465.76GB>
          /p...@0,0/pci1022,7...@1/pci11ab,1...@1/d...@1,0
       2. c0t2d0 <ATA-HITACHI HDS7250S-AJ0A-465.76GB>
          /p...@0,0/pci1022,7...@1/pci11ab,1...@1/d...@2,0
       3. c0t3d0 <ATA-HITACHI HDS7250S-AJ0A-465.76GB>

You can see that these disks are 465.76GB. On some x86 systems, though, the disk size is not provided here and you have to jump through some
hoops to provide this. You can also select the disk and review the disk
space under the partition menu.

To provide a bootable disk to ZFS on an x86 system, you will need a
Solaris fdisk partition and slice.

Please review the steps in the link above and let me know if you have
any questions.

Thanks,

Cindy

dick hoogendijk wrote:
casper....@sun.com wrote:

I boot my OpenSolaris 2009.06 system off ONE ata drive.
I want to change that to a mirrored boot from two SATA drives.

Is it possible to FIRST make a mirror of the existing ata drive
PLUS one new sata drive and after resilvering, remove the ata drive and
replace it with another (second) SATA one?

Yes, that's what I did.  Make sure that the sata drive is at least as big
as the ata drive; make sure you make the appropriate Solaris FDISK
partition and don't use an EFI label (can't boot those).

I'm always not very confident with solaris format. I love the creation of
an EFI labeled ZFS disk. But alas, that's not possible here cause it has
to boot. So, what steps exactly do I take with format: how do I see the
exact sieze of the new disk? Do I slice it up (s1, s2) or do I only need a
s0 slice? Please give some advice on this? It's not everyday I put in new
disks.