> I had a system with it's boot drive
> attached to a backplane which worked fine. I tried
> moving that drive to the onboard controller and a few
> seconds into booting it would just reboot.

In certain cases zfs is able to find the drive on the
new physical device path (IIRC: the disk's "devid" didn't
change and the new physical location of the disk
is already present in the /etc/devices/devid_cache).

But in most cases you have to boot from the installation
media and "zpool import -f rpool" the pool, with the
disk attached at the new physical device path, so that
the new physical device path gets recorded in zpool's
on-disk label.