Hi Roland,

Current Solaris releases, SXCE (build 98) or OpenSolaris 2009.06,
provide space accounting features to display space consumed by
snapshots, descendent datasets, and so on.

On my OSOL 2009.06 system with automatic snapshots running, I can see
the space that is consumed by snapshots by using this syntax.

# zfs list -o space

The output doesn't format well in email so I didn't include it.

To see descendent datasets space consumption, use this syntax:

# zfs list -ro space rpool/export/home

These features are described here:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-2271/ghbxt?l=en&a=view

See the Space accounting properties section.

Cindy

roland wrote:
hello,
i`m doing backups to several backup-dirs where each is a sub-filesystem on
/zfs, i.e. /zfs/backup1 , /zfs/backup2

i do snapshots on daily base, but have a problem:
how can i see, how much space is in use by the snapshots for each sub-fs, i.e.
i want to see what`s being in use on /zfs/backup1 (that`s easy, just du -s -h
/zfs/backup1) and how much space do the snapshots need (that seems not so easy)

thanks
roland