Cindy, my question is about what "system specific info" is maintained that
would need to be changed?  To take my example, my E450, "homer", has disks that
are failing and it's a big clunky server anyway, and management wants to
decommission it.  But we have an old 220R racked up doing nothing, and it's not
scheduled for disposal.

What would be wrong with this:
1) Create a recursive snapshot of the root pool on homer.
2) zfs send this snapshot to a file on some NFS server.
3) Boot my 220R (same architecture as the E450) into single user mode from a
DVD.
4) Create a zpool on the 220R's local disks.
5) zfs receive the snapshot created in step 2 to the new pool.
6) Set the bootfs property.
7) Reboot the 220R.

Now my 220R comes up as "homer", with its IP address, users, root pool
filesystems, any software that was installed in the old homer's root pool, etc.

Since ZFS filesystems don't care about the underlying disk structure -- they
only care about the pool, and I've already created a pool for them on the 220R
using the disks it has, there shouldn't be any storage-type "system specific
into" to change, right?  And sure, the 220R might have a different number and
speed of CPUs, and more or less RAM than the E450 had.  But when you upgrade a
server in place you don't have to manually configure the CPUs or RAM, and how
is this different?

The only thing I can think of that I might need to change, in order to bring up
my 220R and have it "be" homer, is the network interfaces, from hme to bge or
whatever.  And that's a simple config setting.

I don't care about Flash.  Actually, if you wanted to provision new servers
based on a golden image like you can with Flash, couldn't you just take a
recursive snapshot of a zpool as above, "receive" it in an empty zpool on
another server, set your bootfs, and do a sys-unconfig?

So my big question is, with a server on ZFS root, what "system specific info"
would still need to be changed?