On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 3:30 AM, Dave Ringkor<no-re...@opensolaris.org> wrote:
> I'll start:
>
> - The commands are easy to remember -- all two of them.  Which is easier, SVM
> or ZFS, to mirror your disks?  I've been using SVM for years and still have
> to break out the manual to use metadb, metainit, metastat, metattach,
> metadetach, etc.  I hardly ever have to break out the ZFS manual.  I can
> actually remember the commands and options to do things.  Don't even start me
> on VxVM.

Hehe. The simplicity is interesting. I'm actually starting to get confused by
those two commands, and start to wish it went down to one.

> - Boasting to the unconverted.  We still have a lot of VxVM and SVM on
> Solaris, and LVM on AIX, in the office.  The other admins are always having
> issues with storage migrations, full filesystems, Live Upgrade, corrupted
> root filesystems, etc.  I love being able to offer solutions to their
> immediate problems, and follow it up with, "You know, if your box was on ZFS
> this wouldn't be an issue."

"Out of inodes". Huh? The very concept is so antiquated.

The great success of ZFS, to me, is the fact that it rapidly became essentially
invisible. It just does its job and you soon forget that it's there
(until you have to
deal with one of the alternatives, which throws it into sharp relief).

--
-Peter Tribble