Fajar,

Yes, you could probably do send/receive from one pool to another, but that would be somewhat more time consuming and you'd have to make sure everything was right in your GRUB menu.lst as well as boot blocks, not to mention the potential for namespace collisions when dealing with a root pool. But this is missing my point.

The thing I found more interesting was that a pool could be increased in space by doing a zpool replace with a larger disk. This means if say, you have a pool of 100GB disks and you want to increase the size, you can replace them with bigger disks effectively growing the pool. Not sure how this works out with configurations other than in RAID 0 and RAID 1, but I thought it was a pretty nice feature knowing I can put bigger disks in really easily.

I also agree the installer should have an "expert" mode for configuring disks. The "all-or-nothing" approach is easy for people who have never been exposed to Solaris or OpenSolaris, but leaves people out in the cold if you wish to have different configuration for your disks.

The Automated Installer, is supposed to give this sort of flexibility, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Regards,

Mike

---
Michael Sullivan