James Lever wrote:
Hi Erik,

On 22/06/2009, at 1:15 PM, Erik Trimble wrote:

I just looked at pricing for the higher-end MLC devices, and it looks like I'm better off getting a single drive of 2X capacity than two with X capacity.

Leaving aside the issue that by using 2 drives I get 2 x 3.0Gbps SATA performance instead of 1 x 3.0Gbps, are there problems with using two slices instead of whole-drives? That is, one slice for Read and the other for ZIL?

The benefit you will get using 2 drives instead of 1 will be doubling your IOPS which will improve your overall performance, especially when using those drives as ZILs.

Are you planning on using these drives as primary data storage and ZIL for the same volumes or as primary storage for (say) your rpool and ZIL for a data pool on spinning metal?

cheers,
James

ZIL and Read cache for a data pool of HDs.

i.e.

zpool create tank mirror c1t0d0 c1t1d0 [...] log c2t0d0 cache  c3t0d0

or

zpool create tank mirror c1t0d0 c1t1d0 [...] log c2t0d0s0 cache c2t0d0s1

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support