The situation regarding lack of open source drivers for these LSI
1068/1078-based cards is quite scary.

And did I understand you correctly when you say that these LSI 1068/1078
drivers write labels to drives, meaning you can't move drives from an LSI
controlled array to another arbitrary array due to these labels?

If this is the case then surely my best bet would be to go for the non-LSI
controllers -- e.g. the AOC-SAT2-MV8 instead, which I presume does not write
labels to the array drives?

Please correct me if I have misunderstood.

Cheers,
Simon