On 06/28/09 08:41, Ross wrote:
Can't you just boot from an OpenSolaris CD, create a ZFS pool on the new
device, and just do a ZFS send/receive directly to it?  So long as there's
enough space for the data, a send/receive won't care at all that the systems
are different sizes.

I don't know what you need to do to a pool to make it bootable I'm afraid, so I
don't know if this will just work or if it'll need some more tweaking.  However
if you have any problems you should be able to find more information about how
ZFS boot works online.
A procedure for making a backup of a root pool and then restoring it is at:

http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Troubleshooting_Guide#ZFS_Root_Pool_Recovery

Lori